CCDA - Jeffrey Wallace Award
The Connecticut Community Development Association annually bestows the Jeffrey Wallace Award to recognize a Connecticut housing and community development professional who has shown an extraordinary commitment to the human side of the housing and community development enterprise. It is given in honor of Jeffrey Wallace, a Community Planning and Development Representative with the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Hartford Field Office who especially valued the important role that social services, addressing basic human needs, played in improving the quality of life of low- and moderate-income persons. Jeffrey was an integral member of the Connecticut Community Development Association, a member of the Board of Directors for many years and a Past President, who died of cancer at a young age.
2011 Award Recipient: The Waterbury Continuum of Care
The Waterbury Continuum of Care is a planning organization comprised of homeless service provider agencies, state and local government officials, local landlords, local business owners, legal rights organizations, faith based organizations, current and formerly homeless consumers, and law enforcement agencies. The purpose of the group is to coordinate the delivery of services for the homeless population and to advocate for the end of homelessness in the City of Waterbury. The group has funded over 225 units of permanent supportive housing for the Waterbury community over the past 7 years. The group works in collaboration with the City of Waterbury on the implementation of the goals and strategies identified in the Waterbury Ten Year Plan to End Homelessness.
The Waterbury Continuum of Care is co-chaired by William Rybczk, Director of Research, Development and Planning for New Opportunities Inc. and Belinda Arce, Director of Client Services for the Waterbury Housing Authority and staffed by Leah Lentocha, Coordinator, New Opportunities Inc.
Jeff Wallace Award Recipients
- 2011 The Waterbury Continuum of Care
- 2010 Jeffrey Freiser, Executive Director, CT Housing Coalition (Stamford meeting)
- 2009 Richard Schuster, Executive Director, Saint Luke’s LifeWorks (Berlin Meeting)
- 2008 Curtis O. Law, Executive Director, Norwalk Housing Authority (Norwak Meeting)
- 2007 Merle Berke-Schlessel, President, United Way of Eastern Fairfield County (Bridgeport)
- 2006 Mary Ellen Morgan, HUD retired (Norwich Mtg)
- 2005 Lydia Brewster, North End Action Team, Middletown (Middletown Mtg)
- 2004 Ralph Paolillo, West Haven CD (Hartford Mtg)
- 2003 Paul Christie, City Center Churches for Peter's Retreat (HIV Shelter) (New London Mtg)
- 2002 Pat Williams
- 2001 Ellen Isidro, Stamford United Way (Hartford Mtg)
- 2000 AIn the Making@ of Waterbury. Sister Marie Burke, Executive Director (Meeting location?)
- 1999 Norwich Social Services Dept. - Job Training Program (Foxwoods Mtg)
- Back to Top -